Tuesday, August 14, 2007

SO I know I haven't really updated at all this past month. Oops.
Well, here's a short article I wrote for the WIT August newsletter....

My name is Erica Horton and I am a sophomore at Centre College in Danville, Kentucky. I am a member of the Bonner Program – a service scholarship program – at Centre, through which I decided to do a “Summer of Service.” After attending workshops at two separate conferences featuring WIT members, I wanted to learn more about the organization. From my brief glimpse of WIT, I saw strong women dedicated to positive change. I eventually chose WIT as my service site this summer and the first week of June I moved to Louisville – a city I didn’t really know. So, a couple weeks before my 19th birthday and on my own for the first time, I dove headfirst into Women In Transition.
My work with WIT this past summer has been an incredible experience. I have met many amazing women who have been an inspiration. I have also learned much more about issues relating to poverty in the United States and have been reminded constantly of how lucky I have been. The injustices I’ve seen this summer have opened my eyes. I’ve been motivated by each and every story I’ve been told and I am determined to continue along a path towards positive change.
I would like to thank all the women who have not only been an inspiration to me, but a friend. WIT opened its arms to me when I moved to Louisville and I thank you all for your support and friendship.
My summer experience with WIT has been so great, I’m sticking around! This past month I was elected to the Board of Directors and I’m excited to continue along with WIT. With the participation of both members and supports, Women In Transition will certainly flourish. I would like to encourage anyone and everyone to learn more about WIT and to get more involved!
Thank you,
Erica Horton
Erica.Horton@centre.edu

No comments: